Friday, August 22, 2008

The Studio...



We’re on our final day of tracking in the studio. I’m listening to Ryan play guitar over and over again. We’re about an hour in on guitar tracking, and this is after hearing Steve yell for about 3 or 4 hours. I’m done with my stuff, so now I get to sit around, drink beer, and pull out my hair.

Over the course of the day I have: read the news online approximately 20 times, unsuccessfully attempted to watch the latest episode of Big Brother, accidentally stumbled across footage of a man drinking an entire bottle of his own urine, made a third trip to the local guitar shop, eaten one extremely disappointing tempeh reuben sandwich, and spent about 4 hours staring at the wall. I forgot to bring a book.

Recording is alternately extremely rewarding and very frustrating. I tend to swing between thinking we’re crafting the next Led Zeppelin IV and thinking we’re all total frauds wasting time on this enormous black hole of a project when we could be working towards more practical goals—like dental insurance or a good credit rating.

But I guess there is some solace in knowing that I woke up this morning and went into a studio to make a record instead of going to a lousy desk job. Either way, I still spent the day staring at a computer screen and running asinine errands.

No comments: